International House of Dan: Idiot Given Dream Job, Dan Outraged

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Idiot Given Dream Job, Dan Outraged

Let me begin by saying that this is only my "opinion" on "public figures" and "fair comment on matters of public interest," (... no libel here!), but to say that I am outraged at John Bolton's nomination would severely understate my feelings on the matter. What's next, David Duke as ambassador to Israel?!? Actually, I shouldn't ask that, I shouldn't even joke about it seeing as this is the third time I've thought "could there be a worse choice?" Negroponte, Ashcroft, now Bolton... good God.

First of all, Bolton looks like Argentine rocker Charlie Garcia, which is weird enough to begin with. Second, you simply cannot have a U.N. envoy who has been specifically kicked out of negotiations with North Korea, a country that will probably come up once or twice during his tenure. Third, HE IS EVIL!! Fourth, he thinks Cuba has WMD. Fifth, Jesse Helms likes him to the point of saying "John Bolton is the kind of man with whom I would want to stand at Armageddon." That's like an endorsement from Hitler. By the way, that last link is from one of those "the media has a liberal bias!" sites... (There should be an apostrophe after "Citizens") Sixth, he has consistently advocated against the United Nations. Seventh, he thinks we should recognize Taiwan because China would never respond with military action (scary right-wing link), though it's unclear if he's that stupid or just doing what he got paid to do by Taiwan. Eighth, nobody likes him. Ninth, I am seriously worried that he'll try to withdraw from the U.N. Charter as he did from the Rome Statute. Tenth, I agree with the commentator on NPR yesterday, I just don't think he believes anything in the U.N. Charter, which is a lot like electing a Senator who doesn't believe in the U.S. Constitution... sure, you could do it, but it'd be extremely scary and dumb.

Finally, John Bolton once said that if the U.N. building in New York lost 10 stories "it wouldn't make a bit of difference." Now, I don't know if that was a statement on diplomatic bureaucracy, his view on "little countries," or incitement to terrorism, but either way, it does not look good for our representative to have said it. I guess Mr. Bush doesn't mind people making light of the destruction of tall buildings in the Manhattan skyline, it just depends on the building. But what do I know... I thought Adlai Stevenson during the Cuban Missile Crisis was a good example of what the U.N. Ambassador was supposed to do...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home