International House of Dan: Shawn Cheats at Chess

Saturday, February 26, 2005

Shawn Cheats at Chess

So I'm watching C-SPAN, checking out the State of the Black Union, and I'd been sort of tuning it out until Tavis Smiley, moderating, just told Faye Wattleton, president of the Center for the Advancement of Women what was up with Karl Rove very eloquently. But that's not what I'm writing about this morning...

Last night I was playing chess against Shawn and he cheated. Several times. Not just against me, either. But it turns out that he was right about what we finally called him on, causing him to lose his game against me, and his bet with Pete. Of course, I would say the bet stands, because in the course of confirming that he was right about that move, I've uncovered several other rules which he broke during the match. It also colors my judgment that he thought he had been cheating when he deliberately did what he did. Guessing correctly about an obscure rule does not make one right, in my mind, but Shawn, to the extent that you were right last night, I apologize. Cheers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home