International House of Dan: Hunter S. Thompson, 1937-2005

Monday, February 21, 2005

Hunter S. Thompson, 1937-2005

I don't really know what to write about this, other than to say that the man was a huge literary influence for me. I now have no reason to check out Page Two on ESPN.com, where I enjoyed his unique blend of fiction, sports, and political commentary. Anybody who enjoys my writing, in terms of style, subject-matter, etc., would likely enjoy Thompson's "Hey Rube".

On the 15th he wrote what I suppose is his last column, but I am optimistic that something he may have had in the works will turn up. Thompson's death leaves many fans stunned, as did Arthur Miller's on the 10th. They say these things happen in threes, but I hope we can make it out of February without having to endure the loss of another legendary writer, it has been a weird enough month as it is... but as Thompson himself said, "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger dbhayes said...

sad indeed

21 February, 2005 02:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home