International House of Dan: Peter Benenson, 1921-2005

Saturday, February 26, 2005

Peter Benenson, 1921-2005

The founder of Amnesty International, Peter Benenson, died last night in Oxford at the age of 83. I didn't know much about Mr. Benenson, which is to say I knew who he was, and not much else. I heard the news on the radio this afternoon, and read up on this man who has done a great deal to advance the cause of justice in the world. As he lit a candle wrapped in barbed wire, the symbol of AI, during the organization's 25th anniversary, Mr. Benenson explained:
"The candle burns not for us, but for all those whom we failed to rescue from prison, who were shot on the way to prison, who were tortured, who were kidnapped, who 'disappeared'. That is what the candle is for."
I encourage everyone to contribute to Amnesty International, it's a good organization doing important work. I regret not having known about Peter Benenson sooner, his story inspires me to believe that one person apparently can change the world.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home